If you have a water fountain, pond or waterfall, you know how relaxing it is to sit by the water and enjoy the tranquility of the moment. However, to fully appreciate your water feature, you have to maintain it properly. Without the right care, you will find yourself sitting next to a murky green pond or looking at a slimy water fountain. Also, a neglected water feature can detract from your property’s appeal. Fortunately, it is pretty easy to keep your fountain looking crystal clear. The first steps in caring for your water feature are to:
1. Check the water level-Make sure that the water pump is running at all times and that the pump is covered with water.
2. Remove debris and leaves-At least twice per week, skim the pond’s surface to remove any debris.
3. Scrub the Fountain-Drain your fountain once a month and clean it with a brush and mild detergent.
What are the Right Chemicals for my Water Feature?
With all of the different chemicals available for ponds and water features, it might be difficult to know which ones you need. Here are some of the most common chemicals that are used to clean water features.
- Algaecide-An algaecide will help eliminate algae from fountains, streams and water features. Choose one that works in all temperatures.
- Foam Remover-Foam is a common problem in indoor and outdoor water features. It is caused by excessive organic compounds that are left behind by animals, plants and bacteria. A foam remover will help keep the foam from forming in your fountain.
- Sludge Cleaner-This usually contains beneficial bacteria and will help maintain a strong biological balance in your water garden or pond and keep your rocks and gravel sludge-free, as well.
A waterfall or fountain is a beautiful, relaxing landscaping feature. For more helpful information and tips about maintaining your water feature, visit W.P. Law.