DIY fountains are popular with many homeowners because they are lovely works of art, and a great weekend project.
DIY fountains require a basic understanding of electricity and water in order to work safely and function properly. While DIY fountains allow for a lot of individual artistic creativity, there are several practical matters that need to be considered to keep your dream from becoming a nightmare.
Here are some practical tips for your DIY fountain project.
• Think about placement. Whether your fountain is going on a table top, a wall, the floor or the ground, make sure the foundation has the strength to hold the fountain once it is full of water and running.
• Ask for help. Read your installation instructions, or ask your supplier for help with installing your masterpiece.
• Call in experts. If you need an electrical line run or reinforcement placed, don’t hesitate to pay a professional. If there is a chance that a DIY project can cause damage or danger, get a professional.
• Place your pump(s). Depending on its size, your fountain will have one or two pumps that are designed to work underwater. They should be cleverly hidden in filter boxes in the lowest basin.
• Plumb the system. Fountains are recirculation systems with the lowest basin acting as the reservoir that will hold the pumps. Water lines between lower and higher basins often require drilling holes, running tubing and caulking.
Now that your project is safely installed, enjoy it!
If you’d like help in choosing the best DIY fountain for your location, contact us here.