DIY fountains can bring beauty to your landscaping, hire a professional for a job well done.
Building a water feature in your backyard yourself can be done, but to make things easier and to be assured the job is done right, hire a professional. There are so many things to consider before taking on such a huge project.
• Size & location: Before you begin you need to determine the size fountain you want and pick the perfect location. A water feature is a natural focal point in any landscape and adjoining areas can be well suited for entertaining.
• Power source: Most areas have strict codes when it comes to wiring the pumps and lighting associated with water features. Using a qualified licensed electrician will ensure that everything is up to code and safe for you and your family to enjoy.
• Plumbing: In addition to the plumbing required for the water feature itself, a “make-up” water line must be run to the water feature. This “make-up” water line is connected to your home’s existing plumbing and replaces the water in the water feature that is lost due to evaporation and splashing.
• Labor: Depending on the size and type of fountain you are installing, you should consider the amount of labor that will be involved. Site preparation and rock placement comprise most of the labor in building a water feature. This can be back breaking work, especially if you do not have the equipment that most contractors have. If you are planning a large water feature, you may want to contact a pro.
• Permits: Before beginning the project you will need to check with your city to see if any permits are required.
Whether you choose to do it yourself or hire an expert, adding a fountain to your landscape is a great way to increase the value of your property and create a beautiful focal point.