Selecting the right pipe valve for your needs doesn’t have to be difficult.
Valves are devices that direct, control, or otherwise regulate the flow of a fluid in a confined area. While there are several types of valves available for industrial use, all valves are responsible for opening, closing, or partially obstructing a passage. Choosing the correct valve for your industrial piping needs is a paramount choice that affects the safety, efficiency, and longevity of your piping solution.
Types of Pipe Valves
Choosing the correct pipe valve can be a little tricky if you don’t know how the valves typically work. Below you will find some of the most common valves, as well as their general industrial uses.
- Angle Valves – As the name suggests, these valves use an inlet and outlet at a 90 degree angle to conserve room and all for maximum flow.
- Balancing Valves – The balancing valve is a mixing valve. It helps to maintain a constant water temperature by balancing the hot and cold lines. These valves can also accommodate for drops in pressure levels.
- Drain Valves – This type of valve aids in the removal of surplus fluid from a system or container.
- Needle Valves – Needle valves are small and very precise in their design. They are generally used to accurately regulate the flow of liquids and gases at low flow rates. These valves also offer a precise resistance to flow.
- Pinch Valves – Pinch valves can be used in both an off/on manner, variable position, or as a throttling service. They effectively control the flow of both abrasives and corrosives to produce a streamlined flow.
- Pressure Relief Valves – These valves are also known as safety valves. They are designed to relieve excess upstream pressure from within the line.
- Safety Valves – A second type of safety valve is one that contains a thermal sensing component. This valve will open or close in response to temperature changes (as determined by pre-set conditions).
- Vacuum Relief Valves – These automatic valves will open or close a vent to relieve a vacuum, depending on preset values. They are generally used in hot water supply systems.
To learn more about what type of pipe valve is best-suited for your industrial piping needs, we invite you to contact us today! Our line of industrial valves features a multitude of valve types, as well as numerous brands. W. P. Law, Inc. proudly carries a complete line of pumps, pipe, valves, and fittings in a wide range of materials including PVC, CPVC, PVDF, HDPE, Black & Galvanized Steel, Aluminum, Brass, and Stainless Steel.