As the warmth of summer fades and the cooler months creep in, South Carolinians know it’s time to prepare their homes and gardens for winter. Often overlooked in these preparations is the backyard water feature. While South Carolina might not experience the harshest of winters, it’s still crucial to winterize your water feature to ensure it remains in good working order. We’ll walk you through the steps to protect your water feature and discuss the benefits of working with a professional who can help guide you through caring for it.
Steps to Winterize Your Water Feature
- Drain the Water: The first and most vital step is to drain all the water from your fountain/water feature. Even in milder climates like we have in the South, water can freeze and expand. This can cause cracks or damage to your water feature, leading to costly repairs or replacements.
- Clean the Water Feature: Once drained, take the opportunity to clean the water feature. Remove any debris, such as leaves, twigs, or algae. Scrub the interior with a soft brush and mild detergent to remove mineral deposits or stains. This will prevent any buildup from worsening over the winter and ensures a fresh start in spring.
- Protect the Pump: The pump is the heart of your water feature, and protecting it is crucial. Remove the pump from the water feature, clean it thoroughly, and store it in a dry place, preferably indoors. This protects the pump from any freezing conditions and extends its lifespan.
- Cover the Water Feature: Cover your water feature entirely using a cover or even a heavy-duty tarp. A cover prevents debris from entering and protects the structure from potential frost or ice damage. Ensure the cover is secure so it won’t blow away during winter winds.
- Check for Water Collection: Throughout the winter, periodically ensure that water isn’t collecting at the base or within the water feature. Accumulated water can freeze and cause damage.
Consider Hiring a Professional for Help
Before spending a weekend working on your outdoor water feature, consider calling in a professional to help you with winterization. Some of the benefits of using a pro to do the work include:
- Expertise and Experience: Professionals have the knowledge and experience to winterize your water feature efficiently and effectively.
- Saves Time and Effort: Winterizing can be a labor-intensive process. Hiring a professional can save you time.
- Ensures Longevity: Proper maintenance ensures that your water feature remains a centerpiece in your garden for years. Professionals can spot potential issues before they become significant problems, saving you money in the long run.
- Peace of Mind: Professional winterization can give you peace of mind. You can rest easy knowing that your water feature is ready to face the winter months and will be in great shape to turn back on in the spring.
While South Carolina may not have the most brutal winters, it’s essential not to overlook the care of your backyard or patio fountain. By taking the necessary steps to winterize your water feature or hiring a professional to help you, you can enjoy the soothing sounds and sights of your water feature for many seasons to come. Don’t let winter’s chill catch you unprepared; act now to ensure your water feature’s longevity. Contact the experienced and knowledgeable team at W.P. Law today for all your outdoor water feature needs.